Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Synaxsis of Archangels at the Start of Lent



The word synaxsis means a gathering for worship. I suppose then we could call Sunday Mass a synaxsis. But here's a synaxsis of Archangels. The tradition says there are seven archangels but the bible mentions only Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. The other names, which vary widely and wildly, come from extra-biblical or apocryphal Jewish and Christian sources. We might invoke their help as we set out along the Lenten Way.

Michael this day, may we find our way off the dark road of hate.
Michael this day, might we think something previously unthinkable.
Michael this day, that I would know why I was born.
Michael this day, that mercy would trounce fear.

Gabriel this day, may I allow God to disturb me.
Gabriel this day, might I be blessed with the gift of right communicating.
Gabriel this day, I pray the vision needed to love rightly.
Gabriel this day, strength, as I might be thrown off course today.

Raphael this day, truth enough to stop labeling people.
Raphael this day, heal the suffering of my fretting.
Raphael this day, was it you who stirred the Bethsaida waters? Stir up new consciousness in 
me.
Raphael this day, may I see the beauty that lies beyond my eyes.

Uriel this day, wisdom to solve some problem.
Uriel this day, illumination in my darkened mind.
Uriel this day, may my religion be transformative.
Uriel this day, is there some forgiveness I've yet to extend?

Raquel this day, friend of God, draw me in.
Raquel this day, angel of justice, teach me.
Raquel this day, elevate our national conversation.
Raquel this day, less talking, more listening for us.

Zerachiel this day, God's command, love born of insight.
Zerachiel this day, not to fear God, but to love him.
Zerachiel this day, that the nation not lose compassion.
Zerachiel this day, that the nation not lose humility.

Remiel this day, keep us from giving way to panic and despair.
Remiel this day, teach us solidarity.
Remiel this day, may we know we are spiritual beings.
Remiel this day, may my prayer be a cry of the heart.